Possession of Illegal Substances
Drugs and Possession
It is unlawful for any person knowingly or intentionally to possess a controlled substance unless the substance was obtained directly from, or pursuant to, a valid prescription or order of a practitioner while acting in the course of his professional practice, or except as otherwise authorized by the Drug Control Act.
- Firstly, Possession of a controlled substance: It is unlawful for any person knowingly or intentionally to possess a controlled substance. However, the substance is permissible if obtained directly from, or pursuant to, a valid prescription.
- In addition, Possession of a controlled substance is punishable by up to ten years in prison and/or a $2,500 fine.
- VIRGINIA CODE: http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-250/
- The possession of marihuana is unlawful. However, with a prescription, marijuana can be obtained legally.
- In fact, possession of marijuana is punishable by up to 30 days jail and/or a $500 fine for first simple possession. Second offense simple possession marijuana is a Class 1 misdemeanor, punishable by up to 12 months in jail and/or a $2,500 fine.
- VIRGINIA CODE: http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-250.1/
MANUFACTURING/POSSESSION WITH INTENT TO SELL
- Distribution of a controlled substance: It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, sell, give, distribute, or possess with intent to manufacture, sell, give, or distribute a controlled substance or an imitation controlled substance.
- In short, distribution is punishable by up to 40 years in prison for a first offense and life in prison for subsequent offenses.
We always recommend that you get representation by criminal defense attorney.
Anyone could find themselves facing criminal charges. A criminal charge can have lasting effects on the lives of those with such charges on their records. In order to effectively handle a serious legal situation, individuals often need to understand what they are facing. If you have a criminal law charges in Newport News, Hampton, Williamsburg, Yorktown or the rest of the Hampton Roads area, call the criminal defense attorneys at Goff Voltin, PLLC today.