Murder is a serious charge that serves a large punishment. Understanding the charges that you are facing is important firstly. Above all, a criminal defense attorney with thorough experience is important. In other words, call us, the attorneys of Goff Voltin, to get a rigorous defense.
- First degree murder is: The intentional premeditated malicious killing of another.
- Second degree murder is: The intentional malicious killing of another.
- Second degree murder does not require premeditation.
- Manslaughter is defined as: The unlawful killing of another without premeditation or malice.
- Involuntary manslaughter is defined as: The accidental killing of another while engaged in an unlawful, but not felonious, act, or in the improper performance of a lawful act
- “Criminal negligence is the basis for involuntary manslaughter and has been defined as acting consciously in disregard of another person’s rights or acting with reckless indifference to the consequences.” Gray v. Commonwealth, 2000 Va. App. LEXIS 548 (2000).
In short, representation by a criminal defense lawyer is helpful in these cases.
Self-defense or defense of another can be used to argue against homicide charges; however, these are rare cases. In most cases, self-defense is preventing yourself from further harm. The excessive force resulting in the death of the assailant will still count as a homicide for example.
In conclusion, if you or a loved one need homicide defense, call the attorneys of Goff Voltin for their expert analysis and defense.
WE OFFER CRIMINAL LAW SERVICES IN NEWPORT NEWS, HAMPTON, WILLIAMSBURG, YORKTOWN AND THE REST OF THE HAMPTON ROADS AREA.
CRIMINAL DEFENSE AREAS
CRIMES AGAINST THE PERSON
CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY
CRIMES INVOLVING FRAUD
Impersonation of a Law Enforcement Officer
Obtaining Money Though False Pretenses
Obtaining Signature by False Pretense
False Representations to Obtain Property or Credit
Credit Card Offenses
CRIMES INVOLVING HEALTH & SAFETY
CRIMES INVOLVING MORALS AND DECENCY
CRIMES AGAINST PEACE AND ORDER
CRIMES AGAINST THE ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE
SCHEDULE YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
Speak with a lawyer today and begin the process of preparing your case