Crimes Against The Persons
- One, who on more than one occasion
- engages in conduct directed at another person
- with the intent to place, or when he knows or reasonably should know that the conduct places
- that other person, or his/her family or household member, in reasonable fear of death, criminal sexual assault, or bodily injury.
You will receive a Class 1 misdemeanor for the conviction os stalking. However, any person who is convicted of a second offense occurring within five years of a prior conviction of such an offense under this section or for a substantially similar offense under the law of any other jurisdiction is guilty of a Class 6 felony.
Stalking is punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a $2,500 fine.
- VIRGINIA CODE: http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter4/section18.2-60.3/
Anyone could find themselves facing criminal charges. In fact, a criminal charge can have lasting effects on the lives of those with such charges on their records. However, in order to effectively handle a serious legal situation, individuals often need to understand what they are facing. If you have a criminal law charges in Newport News, Hampton, Williamsburg, Yorktown or the rest of the Hampton Roads area, call the criminal defense attorneys at Goff Voltin, PLLC today.