CRIMES AGAINST THE PERSON
Rape: unlawful sexual activity and usually sexual intercourse carried out forcibly or under threat of injury against a person’s will or with a person who is beneath a certain age or incapable of valid consent because of mental illness, mental deficiency, intoxication, unconsciousness, or deception
A person is guilty if:
- If any person has sexual intercourse with a complaining witness
- Firstly, against the complaining witness’s will, by force, threat or intimidation of or against the complaining witness or another person.
- through the use of the complaining witness’s mental incapacity or physical helplessness.
- Lastly, with a child under age 13 as the victim.
In short, this type of crime against a person is punishable by five years to life in prison. In addition, a person convicted of rape must register for life on the sex offender registry. The Sex Offender Registry is lifetime commitment probation that locates and makes all areas of the offender aware.
We understand that things happen. Here at Goff Voltin we strive hard to make your situation the best. Getting educated on the trial process as well as learning your rights are just the start to a victorious judgment. Representation by a criminal defense attorney is always recommended for the best outcome in your case.
Let our professionals defend you the right way. Don’t hesitate any longer, get in touch with us today.
- VIRGINIA CODE: http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter4/section18.2-61/