DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED (DUI/DWI)
Driving under the influence (DUI/DWI): also commonly referred to as driving while intoxicated (DWI), is an extremely complex area of the law. If you or a loved one have been charged with DUI/DWI, then you should seek an attorney with experience and a solid foundation of knowledge of the laws concerning DUI/DWI. The traffic lawyers at Goff Voltin, PLLC have handled numerous cases of DUI/DWI. We have spent years pouring over the complex code to better understand the intricacies of the laws which prohibit DUI/DWI.
Simply put, DUI/DWI is the operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of an intoxicating substance. Typically, people associate drinking alcohol with DUI/DWI. However, there are other drugs and intoxicating substances which may lead to a charge of DUI/DWI. The actual offense of DUI/DWI is the driving or operation of a motor vehicle (car, motorcycle, ATV, riding lawn mower, etc.) while:
- (1) having a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 grams or more per 210 liters; OR
- (2) being under the influence of alcohol, narcotic, intoxicant, or drug to a degree which impairs the driver’s ability to operate the motor vehicle; OR
- (3) having a blood concentration of any of the following substances at a level that is equal to or greater than:
- 0.02 milligrams of cocaine per liter of blood;
- 0.1 milligrams of methamphetamine (commonly referred to as “meth”) per liter of blood;
- 0.01 milligrams of phencyclidine (commonly referred to as “PCP” or “angel dust”) per liter of blood; or
- 0.1 milligrams of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (commonly referred as “MDMA” or “ecstacy”) per liter of blood.
Anyone could find themselves facing criminal charges. A criminal charge can have lasting effects on the lives of those with such charges on their records. In order to effectively handle a serious legal situation, individuals often need to understand what they are facing. If you have a criminal law charge in Newport News, Hampton, Williamsburg, Yorktown or the rest of the Hampton Roads area, call the criminal defense attorneys at Goff Voltin, PLLC today.
WE OFFER TRAFFIC LAW SERVICES IN NEWPORT NEWS, HAMPTON, WILLIAMSBURG,
YORKTOWN AND THE REST OF THE HAMPTON ROADS AREA.
SCHEDULE YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
Speak with a lawyer today and begin the process of preparing your case